What is the origin of the bay window
Restoration of old leaded glass windows
Lead and glass are exposed to extreme weather conditions, which can lead to leaks or changes to the glass surface, such as corrosion or discoloration. Preserving the old leaded glass windows is a cultural task. The core of the windows, which are often listed as historical monuments, should be preserved, but also meet today's requirements for security, durability and, ultimately, economic efficiency - a task for specialists. Nationwide there are only a few hundred artificial glasses who take on the restoration of historic leaded glass windows. The restoration usually takes place in five steps:
- A site inspection takes place before every restoration. Based on the damage, the appraisers draw up a remediation concept.
- In a second step, the glazier removes the damaged glass parts or the entire window and cleans them in his workshop.
- Drawings and templates are created for each piece to be replaced. With their help, the new glass parts are cut. The detailed reconstruction of the old glass parts requires the highest technical and manual skills.
- The fourth step is called "leading". For this, the glaziers need lead rods that are precisely adapted to the individual glass parts. These are soldered to a large frame with tin and cemented on both sides.
- Finally, the lead glass fields are reinstalled on site.
Buy church windows
Lead glass windows are still used in churches today. But there is also great demand from private individuals who want to have very special windows installed. However, if you want to buy lead glass windows, you have to invest a lot. Only a few glass workshops manufacture the windows individually using traditional technology. Whether as a church window, window picture or decorative element - the custom-made products usually cost several thousand euros. Historical originals are cheaper. Vendors of historical building materials often offer old leaded glass windows in various shapes, designs and sizes. Some of the rejected windows have small defects, but more expensive examples have already been fully restored.
Alternatives to leaded glass windows
For all lovers of artistic lead glass windows who cannot afford the originals, there is an inexpensive alternative: various window foils transform your clear glass pane into an ornate lead glass window. The foils are available with different patterns and motifs. They create a cozy atmosphere for stairwells, bathrooms or small bay windows. They are also useful to hide an unsightly view or to provide privacy.
Many window manufacturers also offer stained glass, which, although not made using the traditional lead glass technique, is a colorful ornament for every building. Get advice from a specialist in a personal meeting. Aroundhome supports you in finding the right provider. We provide you with three providers from your region free of charge and without obligation.
- Are there alternatives to Microsoft PowerPoint
- Can foreigners buy weapons in America?
- Is WordPress a database
- What do Koreans think of Thai people
- Which fast food restaurants are healthy
- Why does humanity keep improving
- America is still the world leader
- What is your intellectual property
- Is it worth coming to MIT
- Are musical instruments allowed in the prison cell?
- What is your life journey
- Did Pablo Escobar do drugs
- What is the type of steel mix
- What are some good free giveaways
- How do I write a sales letter
- Needs China Indonesia
- Why is genetic counseling important
- What are the main types of wind
- All major airports have free parking spaces
- Can you inspire passion
- Sleep well on your stomach for digestion
- Why does Aristotle not write dialogues
- Are the same and are the same
- How did Elon Musk learn so much