How fast should my stamina run
Jog speed - How to find the right running speed
Is there the optimal speed for jogging? And how do you find the right running speed? Here you can expect basic knowledge about running pace.
Jog speed overview
The question of the optimal running speed has been discussed a lot. Ask 10 people and you will get 12 opinions. That's simply because it THE perfect speed for jogging not there. How fast you run best simply depends on yours physical and mental requirements and yours aim from.
The average speed of joggers accordingly varies greatly. In the hobby sports area you can find almost everything between a 7:00 and a 04:00 pace. A good running speed is one that works for you and meets your goals.
If you just use the health benefits of running want to enjoy, it is enough to walk quickly or comfortably 2-3 times a week at a comfortable pace to jog.
By the way, it doesn't always have to be running for your health. You can find more inspiration and starting tips for your health training in our overview Endurance training for beginners.
What does pace mean when running?
In runner jargon, instead of “running speed” or “jogging pace”, one speaks more of “pace”. Your pace is the time you need for one kilometer. If you run 10 km in 60 minutes, you have a “6 pace”.
What is the best speed for running?
Which running speed is best for you essentially depends on 3 factors.
# 1 Your physical requirements
Sometimes it is very banal: if you have longer legs, you take bigger steps, so you run faster. Also yours Basic perseverance and speed as well as the rest of your athletic biography play a role.
Your health and weight determine your pace. If you are over 30, you are welcome to undergo a stress test at the doctor's in order to know for sure that unrestricted training is possible. If you want to lose a few pounds, our training plan could be Jogging for overweight beginners be right for you.
# 2 your goal
Do you want yours Improve stamina and Build condition? Speed up? Run in fat burning mode? Or simply enjoying time in nature without ambition? These questions essentially decide which running speed is right for you.
Our tip: Running is a monotonous burden. That's why it's functional Strength training for runnersto run long, fast and healthy.15 exercises for runners
# 3 Your mental requirements
Do you feel like To lace up your running shoes in wind and weather and to jog slowly through the area for a long time? Or do the short and crisp units on the track more joy? Sure, training is not always a comfort zone and you certainly have to do it every now and then inner weaker self overcome.
But nobody has to jog 42 km to be a good runner. Find a distance that you enjoy and perfect your running speed for that distance.
6 tips to help you find the right running speed
So much theory. In practice, these tips will help you find out which jogging speed is right for you.
# 1 Define your goal
Your goal determines which running speed makes sense for you. Goals in endurance training can be roughly divided into 2 areas:
- Improve basic endurance: That means being able to run more relaxed. To do this, you run slower and longer in a low heart rate zone. This training makes you more enduring and is the perfect health sport.
- Speed up: The best way to do this is to use a combination of fast runs on the anaerobic threshold and Interval training. Interval training and short, fast runs are an intense stimulus for your cardiovascular system and, thanks to the high, consume Afterburn effect particularly high in calories.
Reading tip: You can find out everything about different training areas in endurance training in our article Improve endurance - endurance training for advanced users.
# 2 Take the speaking test
Heart rate measurement is the most precise way to determine in which area you are training. But the speaking test also works for the beginning. How well you can sing or talk while running tells you how hard you are. And this is how it looks:
- Can you still sing your favorite song or have a very easy conversation? Then you are in the basic endurance area.
- You can change a few sentences every now and then, but not more? Then you are in speed training or on the border between basic endurance and speed training.
- Breathe ok, but can't speak at all? This is how it should look like in the intensive phases of interval training.
# 3 Know the optimal training area for your goal
As I said, it is more precise with heart rate measurement. The faster you run, the higher your heart rate is. Different areas of endurance training are assigned to different heart rate zones.
The correct speed when jogging is therefore not a flat rate of 6, but the pace in which your heart rate moves in a certain range. These areas are roughly divided as follows:
|% of the max HQF||Training area||effect|
|60-70||Basic endurance 1||- improves long-term endurance|
- trains fat burning
- improves the tolerance of your entire body to monotony
- simple cardiovascular training
|71-80||Basic endurance 2||- Getting used to slightly higher speeds over a longer pace|
- improves speed and stamina
|81-99||Speed training + competition-specific endurance||- improves endurance and speed|
- high calorie consumption + afterburn effect
# 4 Measure your heart rate
When you measure your optimal training range and so the correct running speed want to vote, so you can take the speaking test. Much more precise it is when you measure your heart rate while running.
They are the most reliable Chest strap values. You don't even need a special running watch for that. Most chest straps can be linked to smartphone apps. During the run you will see your heart rate on the device of your choice and you can assess at a glance whether your running speed corresponds to your goal.
Since the training areas for the correct speed when jogging are always determined based on your maximum heart rate, you need to know them. These three ways to determine maxHQF are particularly common:
- Imprecise but simple: the formula 220-your age = maximum heart rate.
- A little more precise but prone to errors: the self-test. To do this, you try to bring yourself to your absolute maximum performance on a rested day and measure your heart rate. The highest heart rate achieved is then considered the maximum. You should only do this test if you are 100% healthy. Preferably under the guidance of a trainer.
- Elaborate but precise: professional performance diagnostics at the sports doctor. Here you will be subjected to a stress test under medical supervision. Your results are evaluated using valid methods and are absolutely precise. The costs for such performance diagnostics are usually between € 100 and € 300. This examination is always worthwhile if you running properly want.
Our training tip: It works better with a goal. We are convinced that anyone can run a half marathon. You too. Im foodspring Runner’s Guide you will find training and nutrition plans for beginners and more ambitious runners. Developed with professional runner and sports medicine specialist Dr. Paul Schmidt-Hellinger.Learn more
# 5 Run with music
It won't help you find the right jogging speed, but it does Keeping the pace. Special fitness music has different BPM values (beats per minute). Depending on the running speed, 110 - 170 BPM are suitable as background music.
So if you have your perfect speed for jogging know and only have difficulty holding it is that real music worth a try. By the way, there are also tools with which you can store your favorite songs with a certain BPM number.
# 6 Listen to your body
The most important things at the end: Listen to your body. Even if you've found the right running speed in theory, practice may be different. Heart rate, fitness level and well-being do not only depend on numbers, but above all on everyday factors:
How well you could regenerate after exercise? How healthy do you eat What else is going on in your life? Did you have one restful sleep and are you rested?
Always keep the option open to do less when you feel like it. tries Overtraining avoid and take regular breaks. Reducing your jogging speed to below 60% of your maximum heart rate is ideal if you want to actively recover. Even if that means walking.
Calculate running speed - that's how it works
You can calculate your running speed by using the Measure the time it takes to travel one kilometer. You can do this manually on a measured route with a stopwatch or - much easier - with any running app, training watch or smartwatch.
Most electronic devices need that GPS a moment until it works precisely. From the second kilometer on it will be yours Speed when jogging but mostly reliably recorded.
An idea of what pace how fast is, gives you the following table using the example of an average trained amateur runner.
|Pace in minutes / KM||km / h||Move|
|04:30||13,33||very fast running|
Jog Speed Chart - The right running speed for your goal
What speed do you need to run a ga certain distance in a certain time you can easily calculate. Our table with different running speeds gives you an initial overview.
|Pace||5 km||10 km||15 km||21.1 km||30km||42.195 km|
- The right speed for jogging depends on your goal, health, and fitness.
- Your heart rate zones are the best indicator of the optimal running speed.
- Why are iFrames a security risk
- Which is more developed in Manila or Kuala
- What do you miss about London
- How are weapons classified as legal or illegal
- What is 3 + 3 + 6 + 2
- Why do Indonesians use wkwkwk for hahaha
- Can money ever be an intellectual asset
- What happens to stolen bitcoins
- What is the Hindu Citizenship Change Law
- How accurate is google translate
- You can't have intelligence, but you can be philosophical
- What causes a person to become narcissistic
- What are the advantages of imported goods
- What is the cheapest cleaning company
- What types of commercial advertising are there
- Why are Samsung Cell Phones Overpriced?
- What does grit
- The correct spelling is overrated
- Who are your swarms
- Why do people hate Trump 10
- How do I open a personal blog
- What are the geographic regions of Qatar
- Is the moon bigger than the sun
- Where is the website traffic coming from
- What is the best time to go to the gym
- What billionaires went to Harvard Business School
- Which date pages are popular in Brazil
- How long did you breastfeed your child
- Is Apple's marketing strategy wrong
- What are the better B2B sites
- How do I find large amounts of data
- What are the needs of old people
- Why is Japanese food so delicious
- Wear underwear under long underwear