Is bacon bad for cholesterol
High Cholesterol: How Harmful Are Eggs?
The question of whether and how much cholesterol-containing foods such as eggs affect the cholesterol level in the blood is a constant topic of discussion among scientists and doctors. Most recently, the cholesterol in eggs was considered to be harmless to health. But an American observational study from March 2019 came to the conclusion that people who eat a lot of eggs have a higher risk of dying from heart attacks or strokes. With less cholesterol from the diet, however, the risk decreases. But scientists doubt that the results can in principle be transferred to other countries.
Cholesterol Study: What The Researchers Looked At
The current study looks at 29,615 people from six American long-term studies whose data were collected between 1985 and 2016. The test subjects were followed for an average of 17.5 years. Their eating habits, especially their daily cholesterol intake, and the illnesses that occurred during the study period were recorded. A total of 5,400 cardiovascular incidents (heart attacks, strokes) occurred. 6,132 participants died.
Criticism of the Cholesterol Study
Scientists warn against an uncritical interpretation of the study results. They point out that observational studies always only consider selected aspects - in this case egg consumption - and are held responsible as the cause of an event, e.g. the occurrence of heart attacks.
The problem is that all other aspects that could also influence the event remain unobserved. In the case of the cholesterol study, for example, it did not take into account how the test subjects prepared the eggs. In the US, eggs are often fried and also eaten with fried bacon. This contains many saturated fatty acids, which increase serum cholesterol significantly more than pure cholesterol from food.
What helps with high cholesterol
In some cases, high cholesterol can be lowered through lifestyle changes, exercise, and weight loss. With the help of a change in diet and avoidance of animal fats, the cholesterol level in the blood can in many cases be reduced by 10 to 15 percent. If the measures are not sufficient, the blood lipid levels can be lowered with medication.
How diet can affect cholesterol levels
- Foods with a high proportion of saturated fatty acids, for example fatty meat, sausage and bacon, and foods with so-called trans fatty acids, which are found in french fries, chips and puff pastry, can increase the cholesterol level.
- Foods with a high proportion of unsaturated fatty acids, for example in nuts, avocados and vegetable oils, can lower cholesterol. A study by the University of Munich has shown that consuming a handful of walnuts (43 grams) per day, which consist of almost 50 percent polyunsaturated fatty acids, can lower the LDL cholesterol in the blood by five percent.
- Legumes and oats can also lower cholesterol.
- A moderate consumption of eggs is usually harmless.
Treat elevated blood lipids in a timely manner
Fat metabolism disorders are insidious because you don't feel them - those affected usually feel good. But the risk of a heart attack or stroke is greatly increased. more
Experts on the subject
Dr. Melanie Hümmelgen, specialist in internal medicine and cardiology
Senior physician in the cardiology department and deputy medical director
Rehabilitation Center Hamburg
Prof. Dr. Jens Aberle
Medical director of the UKE GmbH ambulance center
Department of Endocrinology, Diabetology, Obesity and Lipids
(040) 74 10 20901
Filming location in the post
Diabetes Center Hamburg West
Group practice for internal medicine and diabetology
(040) 89 62 95
This topic in the program:
Visit | 03/03/2020 | 8:15 pm
- Wordpress com can make you rich
- Anti-Vax people are uneducated
- How can I make myself smart
- Who are the most famous English writers
- How do I check children for obesity
- What are social marketing techniques
- Make observing creativity more creative
- Why are water pipes copper
- Why do we follow rules 1
- Does it actually help to eat dry fruit?
- Why is 0 99999999999 equal to 1
- What does money mean to you
- What can I do after the MSC statistics
- What online training courses are available
- What do consulting firms do
- Why the Modi government is increasing the service tax
- How do women think about feminism today
- What are the responsibilities of SEO Professional
- Why should I study electrical engineering
- What would happen if Taiwan invaded China?
- How does the time travel backwards wormholes work
- Why aren't nice people really nice
- Which is greater than 04 or 45
- How is halite used in everyday life