Do rotating bodies have angular momentum
7.3 The angular momentum - equation of motion of a rigid bodyThe angular momentum of a discrete rigid body is related to a body-fixed center of gravity
holds, follows immediately
If you write this expression for any component (e.g. ), we get
or in vector notation
We know from linear algebra that the vectors and generally not rectified when the matrix is not diagonal (that being diagonal is not enough for that . It must be additional parallel to one of the main axes (see 7.4) (see also example B7.7). This means that the angular momentum of a rotating body will generally point in a different direction than the axis of rotation!
B7.1 Rotating dumbbell
For the speeds of the two masses applies
and for the angular momentum
stands up vertically and . Here but not perpendicular to stands, must and have an angle to each other. On top of that, is not constant over time, but is on a cone around the axis of rotation with the angular velocity emotional. Here but depends on the time is . We know from the theorem of angular momentum that a change in angular momentum over time can only be caused by a torque
On the other hand, it holds for an inertia tensor that is constant over time
so that we get an equation of motion for the rotating body (based on a body-fixed center of gravity)
(Note the analogy to Newton's equation of motion .) There are no external torques acting and thus constant (provided that is constant over time).
M. Keim, H.J. Ludde
- What counts as major health insurance benefits
- Indian women read erotic novels
- You can actually realize how to reduce fat
- Would you take your own advice
- Vietnamese authorities censor Chinese TV dramas
- What is the DASCE protocol
- Can send Google Allo SMS messages
- Is corn the same as corn
- Can dogs eat spicy food?
- What are hot slot developers
- What weighs 100 g
- Why didn't you come to MIT
- When will Malaysia fall under the Chinese government?
- What if mental illness is preventable
- How many millimeters are 10 25 feet
- Sand flies can bite you
- How do I add pictures in Quora
- Why do liberals call Republicans racist
- Two photons can collide
- Is it difficult to be a quantifier
- Can Ketodiaet cure psoriasis
- What book would a mermaid read?
- What if Sirius Black lived?
- What is a drug cartel