Where are all the dead animals
Why we almost never see dead birds
Hundreds of thousands of birds pass over our heads every spring and autumn; In the city and in the country thrush, finch and star live in our immediate neighborhood. And yet we rarely see a dead bird - mostly animals that have flown into window panes or were hit by cars on the street. Very few people have ever seen a bird that simply died of old age. Why actually? After all, birds are only buried in exceptional cases.
There are several reasons for this: On the one hand, most birds fall prey to predators before they have reached their maximum age. Like a bird of prey or a cat. In this case, nothing remains of the ball of feathers, which - like the domestic golden chicken - weighs only a few grams. Or just a couple of feathers.
Most end up in the stomachs of predators and scavengers
Animals that have had an accident or are dying, such as those caught in a windmill, also attract carnivores. "You know," says ornithologist Wolfgang Fiedler from the Max Planck Institute for Ornithology in Radolfzell, "that a smaller bird can disappear completely within twelve hours on a warm day. Many old and sick animals that have hidden disappear in this way almost without a trace.
But chance and human powers of observation also play a role. "We provide storks with transmitters so that they can follow their flight routes," says Wolfgang Fiedler. "And I am always amazed when someone lies around dead for a week without being discovered. And yet it is a snow-white, large bird in the middle of the landscape."
More bird topics on GEO.de.
- Didn't like Princess Margaret Queen Mary
- Can I take ENO in warm water
- What are the elements of branding strategy
- How does an outlier affect the mean?
- How does a counter reading work
- How was Uganda colonized
- Can a new programmer work remotely
- What are metaphors? What are some examples
- How do you promote a thoughtful blog
- Get a 3rd grade degree equivalent to the diploma
- What causes isolation society or oneself
- Love empowers you morally
- Why do companies hire interns
- What foods can trigger a gallbladder attack?
- Where can I find female escorts
- Why is Latin America poor
- Your friend loves you
- What's the strangest place you've been naked
- Are San Francisco gay men friendly
- How do I add pictures in Quora
- What is terrible sickness or death
- What mathematical modeling entails
- Which numbers are significant numbers
- What is the Bigly Reselling App