Americans take the World Cup seriously
Of course, this soccer World Cup is also a matter that has to be dealt with and discussed with the utmost seriousness at the highest political level. That is why US President Barack Obama made a bet with British Prime Minister David Cameron before the US duel against England. "Best lager versus the best beer in America - that there will be an American victory over England," as an official statement from the White House said. And Cameron motivated the team a few hours before the World Cup kick-off from a British military base in Afghanistan via TV: "Come on England." Translated, that probably meant: No beer for the Americans! Well, the English also ended up almost empty-handed. After a 1-1 draw in a mediocre game and a catastrophic mistake by English goalkeeper Robert Green, both teams picked up a point. England captain Steven Gerrard said: "Unfortunately we got an unlucky goal, it was a bit of a shock."
The big question wasn't just for Cameron and Obama: How good is this English team really, without the injured leading players David Beckham and Rio Ferdinand, but with Fabio Capello? The coach had confidently led England to the World Cup with a van Gaal's penchant for discipline, but dropped John Terry, who was strong in combat, as captain because of his affair with a model of underwear. And would Wayne Rooney put on the one-man show he'd been hoping for in attack, that striker with the body and force of a lumberjack?
Beckham? Ferdinand? Terry? Come on England! Less than four minutes were played when the ball landed over Emile Heskey at Steven Gerrard. With that Gerrard who got the captain's armband from the model sinner Terry via Ferdinand. Gerrard pushed in to make it 1-0, and at least now England seemed to feel like a full-fledged title candidate and to dream of America's best beer in the Oval Office. In any case, from then on the players often moved like on a pub crawl.
The kicking was therefore not really fun, neither for the US goalkeeper Tim Howard, who was badly kicked by Heskey, nor for neutral spectators or the aestheticist Beckham, who was posted on the sidelines. Defensive fanatic Capello alone could possibly gain positive results from the first half hour. Because the English defense stood like a wall around their own penalty area, only now and then a safe shot from a distance found its way to Robert Green's goal.
However, there is one thing you can rely on. As secure as an English defensive may seem, English goalkeepers have been regularly good for exhilarating contributions for decades. Robert Green now also follows this tradition. Another shot from the second row by Clint Dempsey found its way towards the goal. Actually, it was more of a shot, a pitiful bullet ball like the way fathers pass it to their little sons. And Green seemed to be dreaming, he patted for the ball, but it just rolled on behind the line to make it 1: 1 (40th). Green can't pay so much of America's best beer to make such a mistake forgotten, even if Gerrard said: "We all have to stand behind him now."
And Obama's hope remained because Rooney looked tame and Heskey was aimless. In any case, when he had a big chance, he fired the ball against Howard's chest, exactly where he had hit the goalkeeper with the sole in the first section. The game got better, and the underdogs seemed to feel "Yes, we can!", Yes, there is something going on against these hesitant Britons. Jozy Altidore rounded Jamie Carragher like a barrel of lager, but Green steered the ball against the post. On the other hand, Shaun Wright-Phillips failed to Howard. Heskey left, Peter Crouch came (79th), but there was no success.
Cameron is allowed to keep his lager, but the thirst for victory seems to be even less pronounced among the English than their legendary thirst for beer.
- Why do people buy Instagram views
- Is America in danger
- Who issues currency in the United States?
- Which FP language is faster than C ++
- What counts as a smoker
- How can US citizens help refugees?
- What is the value of a cent from 1942
- How do you understand cellular respiration
- How does an outlier affect the mean?
- Why does Billie Eilish wear baggy clothes?
- Is the euro better than the dollar
- A New York skyscraper was demolished
- Rich people are better than poor people
- Which occupation poses more mental health problems
- What are your pc specs
- What does an owl symbolize in mythology
- Which state has the most restrictive gun laws?
- What are some signs of intelligence
- What is Googolplex plus Googolplex
- Movie tickets cost more online
- What is a canonical problem in SEO
- Which is the best party in india
- What is the best remote help desk software
- What are the basics of music composition
- Is sex overrated
- Is Donald Trump anti-globalist
- A ketogenic diet can cause diabetes
- You can safely eat raw chestnuts
- Has someone moved to Australia from Singapore?
- Quora actually needs profile pictures
- Occasional smoking is okay
- How many hospitals are there in Australia
- Anorexic people have a ravenous appetite for food