Stingrays are dangerous to humans
Stingrays: Wanted poster in the animal lexicon
The stingray (Dasyatis) belongs to the family of the stingrays (Dasyatidae). They got this name because of their long tail with a poisonous sting. There are over 70 different species of these fish.
General information about stingrays
The stingray is very flat and mostly diamond-shaped. It is wider than it is long. Some species can be up to two and a half meters long and almost three meters wide. These fish have long, whip-like tails. There are one or more poisonous spines on it. Unlike most fish, they don't have scales, but rather rough skin with tiny teeth. The gills, i.e. the respiratory organs, are just like the mouth on the underside of the fish. The eyes are on the top.
What does a stingray eat?
Stingrays eat small marine animals such as fish, crabs, worms, snails and clams.
How does a stingray live?
These animals live predominantly on the sea floor. Some species prefer shallow water near the coast, others live at a depth of thirty meters. There are freshwater and saltwater species. Freshwater rays are found in South America in the Paraná and Amazonas rivers. The saltwater rays live in the Pacific, Indo-Pacific, South Atlantic and the Mediterranean.
Unlike almost all other fish, stingrays do not lay eggs. They are viviparous. The young do not develop in egg shells, but directly in the uterus.
Are stingrays at risk?
The stingray is threatened in many places by marine pollution and overfishing. Man takes his food from him by catching fish. Not all stingray species are equally at risk.
What is special about stingrays?
The special and at the same time dangerous thing about the stingray is the poisonous sting. With this he defends himself effectively against enemies. The sting is very painful because there are barbs on the stinger. It can cause serious injuries and it can also be fatal to humans. The Australian wildlife filmmaker Steve Irwin, for example, was stabbed right in the heart and died. One should not get too close to these animals and rather look at them from a distance as a diver.
- Scientific name: Dasyatis
- Length: up to 2.5 meters
- Width: up to 3 meters
- Habitat: Amazon, Paraná, Mediterranean, Pacific, Indo-Pacific, South Atlantic
- Diet: small marine animals such as fish, crabs, worms, snails and mussels
- Corporate finance jobs pay a lot
- Accenture keeps its employees
- Is social psychology a science
- Which one is more profitable in affiliate marketing
- Why is there an HIV epidemic
- What should I eat to get well?
- Is Python better than Excel
- What is the ANTONYM of the periphery
- Who sets the sugar content for diabetics
- What am I telling a former colleague
- What is your main guitar
- How do you spend your day off
- What is the GST Percentage in Singapore
- Which cricketer had the greatest farewell?
- Drinking blessed water causes cancer
- What causes someone to lose empathy
- What is the ANZAC myth
- How to write a philosophical novel
- How immigrants help the US economy
- Are there any WordPress Facebook plugins
- What is the importance of the algorithm
- Everything living has a soul
- What is between birth and death
- How were you deceived