How do I clean my valuable upholstery
Cleaning and caring for leather furniture - tips for soft, clean seating
Upholstered leather furniture always conveys noble chic. But if you don't care for the valuable furniture properly, the seat quickly cracks. The best tips for leather care.
Smooth leather becomes dry and hard over time - and then brittle. Therefore, sofas covered with them should be treated regularly with a care product. The more natural the leather surface, the more it needs. The Deutsche Gütegemeinschaft Möbel points this out.
Avoid creases in the leather sofa
The DGM recommends using a special leather milk or leather cream for real leather furniture - ideally before and after the heating season, in which the warm and dry air in the heated room can accelerate the drying of the leather. These leather products not only care for the furniture, they also keep it optically beautiful.
It is important that the care product is completely absorbed. Otherwise, wrinkles or hollows may form. Therefore, the leather furniture should not be used for two days after use, recommends the DGM.
Leather care after the summer
Even after the summer, leather furniture needs special care. For furniture made of smooth leather, treatment with balm or a care milk is recommended. Rubbing in keeps the material pliable and prevents cracks from forming prematurely. This type of care is particularly necessary when the furniture is exposed to direct sunlight behind a large pane of glass over the summer, explains the Association of the German Furniture Industry. The leather not only becomes more supple after the treatment, the colors also shine more vividly.
Clean leather with neutral soap
- Vacuum the furniture before treatment.
- Use only distilled water and neutral soap and a clean cloth for cleaning.
- Calcareous water can leave unsightly stains on the surface.
- To avoid water stains, remove the soap thoroughly from the leather afterwards. This works best with a soft, slightly damp cloth. Don't go too hard on this. The leather is more sensitive when it is wet.
It is important that the leather furniture is not used during cleaning. Otherwise the material will stretch and look dented later.
Remove stains in leather
Leather furniture is not immune to stains either. But how do you behave if a cup of coffee accidentally spills over the expensive furniture or the glass of red wine tips over? To prevent liquids from penetrating the leather, it helps to treat the cover regularly with leather grease. The fat forms a protective layer that prevents liquids from penetrating the pores. In addition, the leather remains soft, supple and elastic.
However, if a mishap does occur, the stain should be wiped up as quickly as possible with a slightly damp cloth. It is advisable to use distilled water to prevent limescale stains. Then dab on the remaining dirt with a slightly damp cloth and do not put pressure on the area until it has dried sufficiently. After the stain has been removed, you can treat the area with a little leather grease
Treat grease stains properly
Stains from greasy substances - such as sauces or cosmetics - are particularly difficult to remove. It is better not to use harsh cleaning agents on leather. Therefore, you need to be careful when removing grease stains. There are various fat-dissolving leather care products that you should test in advance in a protected area before treating the stain with them.
Fresh grease stains are bound as quickly as possible. Powders are ideal for this. Many housewives swear by potato flour for this. When the fat is bound, the powder is simply swept up.
In general, the fresher they are, the easier it is to remove all stains. You should avoid rubbing too hard, as this will put additional strain on the surface. It makes sense to use the care products over as large an area as possible from seam to seam so that possible slight color changes are not so noticeable.
Hand vacuum cleaner on the sofa: Before cleaning, larger dirt particles should be thoroughly removed. (Source: Manuel-F-O / Getty Images)
It is best to cool stains caused by chewing gum
If a piece of chewing gum gets lost on the leather couch, ice helps. Cool the chewing gum leftovers with an ice pack. To prevent the adhering ice from leaving new stains, pack the cooling element in a plastic bag as a precaution. The cold makes the residue hard and brittle. They are easier to scrape off gently.
Eraser against jeans stains
Dark jeans often leave unsightly stains on light upholstered leather furniture. Due to the warmth and the evaporated moisture, the jeans dye settles on the leather surface. The leather is dyed here, which makes cleaning the blue areas particularly difficult.
As soon as you see such signs of use, you should deal with them immediately. Once the stains have moved in, it is very difficult for them to come out again. It is best to use a light cleaning foam for this. Test beforehand on a concealed area whether the leather material tolerates the agent and whether there are no unsightly marks after use.
Some discoloration can be partially removed with a light-colored eraser. This, in turn, can put a lot of stress on the surface of the material. You shouldn't do this too intensely.
Every type of leather needs a different care product
Not all smooth leather is the same. When cleaning upholstered furniture with this material, you should take special care of certain types of leather, explains the German Furniture Association.
Use care products with more fatty components for high-quality, natural aniline leather. In addition, you should apply an impregnation and light protection. If the smooth leather is already pigmented, it needs more moisture and fewer moisturizing ingredients in the care products.
Before caring for your leather furniture, it's a good idea to clean it. This leaves the pores free and able to absorb the care components, explains the community of furniture manufacturers. It is best to repeat the cleaning every six months - ideally once before and once after the heating season.
more on the subject
- Furniture; Stains,
- Household tip,
- Household tips,
- Home & garden,
- Spring cleaning,
- cleaning supplies
- If there was no money, there would be religion
- Is Forex Trading Expensive?
- What are some popular activities in Malaysia
- Why does a vacuum create suction
- Understand Romance speakers Italian
- The taxation of unhealthy foods works
- What pills cause death without pain
- Which Coursera course helped you the most
- Can a person live without love
- How to write a philosophical novel
- Why is it important to learn Hebrew?
- What did the UK get from Malaysia
- How do I join the Indian Army
- Why haven't we discovered dark matter yet?
- What are some old math tricks
- The Google Map API is free
- In real life, do a bullet ricochet
- How interesting is digital marketing
- How hot is a sauna
- Which colors start with the letter E.
- What specific foods help lower triglycerides
- How can I make top-quality Florentine biscuits
- People with high IQ like to play
- What do most people do for Christmas
- How many Labor MPs are there
- How religious are the Indonesians
- What is stationarity in time series analysis
- Have you ever been to Kuala Thailand
- Why do fruits have seeds
- Is death the end of our existence
- What does the symbol 2
- Where is IoT actually used for surveillance?
- What do you care?
- How do you generate life insurance leads