Which is greater than 04 or 45
Greater small sign
In this post we explain to you what the greater or smaller sign means and what greater or equal to and less than or equal to mean.
- Greater-less sign simply explainedin the text
- Greater-less sign - donkey bridgein the text
- Smaller-Greater-Signs - Tasksin the text
- Smaller or equal and greater or equalin the text
- Greater-less signs in everyday lifein the text
Greater-less sign simply explained
Quite often in the real world, you need to compare numbers. Which football team scored more goals? Who is older Which car goes faster?
To show in math which value is greater or less than the other, use the greater-than sign and the less-than sign. With their help, you can state whether one number is larger or smaller than another.
Smaller sign: 2 is a number less than 3. You say: "2 is less than 3".
Greater than sign: The 8 is much higher than the 3, so you say "8 is bigger than 3".
You have probably already encountered a third comparison sign: the equals sign. This is what you use when two numbers are the same.
Equal to sign: 4 and 4 are exactly the same size. That's why there is an equals here and you say “4 is equal to 4”!
Greater-less sign - donkey bridge
You can easily remember what the larger-smaller symbols mean when you use a “donkey bridge”: The symbols look like the open mouth of a crocodile. And the crocodile always eats the larger number!
3 > 1: 3 is bigger than 1. Therefore the crocodile opens its mouth in the direction of 3!
1 < 3: 1 is less than 3, so the opening from its mouth is pointing towards 3.
Smaller-Greater-Signs - Tasks
Now it's your turn! First, figure out which is the correct character to use to compare the two numbers. Then put the less than symbol , the greater than sign or the equals sign in the middle between the two numbers. Only then have a look at the solutions by marking the blue fields with your mouse pointer. But don't cheat!
4 < 5
9 > 5
2 = 2
3 > 1
6 < 7
3 < 4
Smaller or equal and greater or equal
Now you know the three characters for smaller, larger and equal. But there are also the two terms less than or equal to ≤ and greater than or equal to ≥. Less than or equal to tells you that a number is either less than or equal - for greater than or equal to, the number is either greater or equal. You probably only need these comparison operators if you are concerned with higher mathematics or computer science. For you it is only important that numbers are the same size, larger than or smaller than other numbers.
Greater-less signs in everyday life
Very good! You can also use bigger than and smaller than if you want to compare yourself with your friends. Imagine you're 8 years old and your best friend is 9. That means he's a year older than you! In math, you can write 8 is less than 9 like this:
Now your other best friend comes along too! You play a game of football together. You score 5 goals, your friend 3 and the other 4. Now you want to compare your goals with each other! What's bigger? 5 is greater than 4 and 4 is greater than 3 - you can also write these in combination. To do this, write the goals from large to small and always insert a greater-than symbol in between.
Great! So now you know yourself with the greater-less signs and out.
tip: and you also call less-than-signs or more-than-signs.
- How do I convert Hz to meters
- How do plants contribute to a healthy life
- Can I afford to emigrate to Singapore?
- Is AdSense still profitable in 2019?
- How do you spell 1
- Dogs understand the concept of dance
- Should we donate unused groceries from supermarkets
- A massage therapist sees the penis
- What is the intuition behind the binomial variance
- Which items never sell at flea markets
- What is package in R.
- The Hubble telescope discovered black holes
- What is your UK fantasy front bench
- Why is it good to be smart?
- What impressed you today
- Why can't therapists touch their clients?
- What do you like about McDonalds
- What are endpoints in a vaccine study
- Should I join AFROTC
- Do you think love is meant to be
- How are the Kashmiri people
- What causes constipation
- Where does the normal distribution come from
- Who is richer Brazil or Mexico
- Where can I learn hacking 5
- What is the best cellular provider
- Already rejects node js
- What is CPM in Email Marketing
- How to pronounce Carlstadt New Jersey
- Sometimes introverts flaunt their introversion
- What were hunting dogs bred for?
- What if I eat cotton
- Can a person die of fear