How does water protection save money?
The 10 best tips for saving water
At 14 percent, hot water makes a significant contribution to energy consumption in private households. Accordingly, it should be taken into account when saving energy. Even small changes in behavior and simple technical solutions can save a lot of water.
Check your water consumption!
Which hot water consumption is normal? Use our hot water calculator to compare your values with those of similar households:
Saving hot water - particularly effective
Saving water is worthwhile for households in several ways:
- Not only the Energy and water costs can be reduced.
- Simultaneously Energy consumption and CO are also reduced2Emissions. Because a large part of the water consumed in Germany is hot water - on average, around every third liter in the household. If you save water effectively, you also save the energy that is used to heat the water.
A total of 14 percent of the energy consumption of an average household is used for the preparation of hot water - and the proportion continues to grow. While the heating energy demand is declining due to efficient boilers and improved insulation, the energy consumption for hot water preparation increases steadily. For example, daily showering has become the norm. At the same time, energy prices are rising and the heating of water can only become more efficient to a limited extent. Rising demand and rising prices: That means higher costs for households.
1. Saving water sensibly in everyday life
You don't have to take a cold shower every morning. Even simple tips for saving water have a big effect and pay for themselves quickly - without loss of comfort. For example, if you shower one minute less and one degree less, you can save quite a bit of water and money.
Even more savings are possible if small things are changed here and there, for example:
- more often take a shower instead of bathing
- at the Wash your hands and soaping in between turn off the tap and / or use cold water,
- one Toothbrush tumbler use,
- the dishwasher or washing machine in the Eco program let run.
In order to be able to save water in everyday life, the awareness of the careful use of the resource is an important prerequisite. Find out all about water consumption in the home.
2. Use the economy shower head and flow limiter
Most of the warm water in the household is used for showering, bathing and personal hygiene. Around a third of the total water consumption occurs here. And a big part of that is warm water. With cheap measures, savings can be achieved quickly.
Pearl jet and water flow regulator
The inconspicuous helpers are attached directly to the fitting and can be used there Save up to half of the water consumption. Pearl jets (also known as jet regulators or aerators) optimize the water jet at the tap and add air to the water. This reduces consumption with constant cleaning convenience.
There are simple helpers in different versions, for example in the hardware store:
- as a simple mixing nozzle,
- with ball joint or intermediate hose and
- with switch for different amounts of water.
However, the water savers are not always suitable for instantaneous water heaters and pressureless storage tanks. So-called water volume regulators can be an alternative there: They reduce the water pressure before the water jet emerges. But here too there may be restrictions for pressureless boilers or instantaneous water heaters.
Money shower heads
Economical shower heads work on a similar principle. The Installation can easily be done by yourself become. Models are also available that are suitable for use with pressureless accumulators. In the case of instantaneous water heaters, however, you should seek advice: some electronic instantaneous water heaters already have flow limiters built in. However, they cannot be used with hydraulic instantaneous water heaters.
It is best to find out about hot water technologybefore you get the helpers. Let specialist staff advise you when purchasing. The helpers are all cheap to buy and easy to install, especially with our instructions for installing a flow limiter.
Efficient shower heads are available for as little as 20 euros, the other savings aids from around 2 to 5 euros. When choosing sanitary facilities such as shower heads and toilet flush systems, the Blue Angel and the water efficiency label "WELL" help.
3. Clean laundry efficiently
The laundry washing consumes an average of about 12 percent of the water in the household. Decisive for costs and CO2 is mainly the energy consumption to heat the water for washing. Electricity is mostly used here, unless the washing machine is supplied via an extra hot water connection.
So can save on laundry:
- Washing machines should usually be fully loaded.
- Thanks to modern cold detergents, lower temperatures are usually sufficient.
- Eco programs have shorter washing times and less water consumption.
- Doing without a pre-wash is often not a loss of comfort, but it saves a lot of water and energy and is gentle on clothing.
- If the laundry is heavily soiled, it is better to wash longer instead of hotter. A single hot wash after a few normal washes helps against stubborn dirt and bacteria. Much of the laundry can also be pretreated with gall soap.
4. Replace old devices and look for a suitable replacement
Laundry and dishwashing will be around 20 percent of the total water consumption in the householdt used. Since the water in the devices is usually still heated, power consumption also plays a major role. Water-saving devices are therefore often also energy savers.
- That modern Dishwasher often require less water than washing the dishes by hand is now known to many. But if you really want to save water, you should also take a close look when buying a new dishwasher: There are significant differences between the current devices from the various manufacturers. The most economical devices use over a third less water than their competitors. The same applies to washing machines.
- Also at Instantaneous water heaters It is often worth replacing before the old device is defective. This is shown by the example of a 3-person household: If a hydraulically controlled water heater is replaced by a fully electronic instantaneous water heater, annual savings of 90 euros are possible.
In the case of water and electricity guzzlers, it is worthwhile Buy a new one before the old device breaks. But only if you pay attention to a good efficiency class and the "Blue Angel".
Use another one Mixer tap or two-handle mixer at the tap and have to laboriously regulate the water temperature every time? Especially when showering, the decision between comfort and energy saving is uncomfortable: Either you let the water run continuously or you have to adjust the temperature again after turning off and lathering.
With Single lever fittings or single lever mixers the hot water supply at the wash basin can be turned off with a handle. It is even better if the temperature has already been preset, such as with a fully electronic instantaneous water heater, which can be set to the exact degree.
An inexpensive alternative for pressure-resistant hot water devices is a Shower stop. This stops the flow of water with a button on the shower head or with a small lever.
6. Check seals and insulation
The tap is dripping, there is a leak in the shower hose and the cistern is leaking? Then you should do something quickly to save water. Seals that are porous or calcified are often to blame. Spare parts are available from hardware stores or specialist retailers.
- To the Removal of lime you can use vinegar cleaners.
- At leaking plugs All-purpose glue helps: apply to the edge, let it dry and thus widen the plug a little.
- Anyone who uses a central hot water supply in their own home can do even more with little money: The pipes between the hot water tank and the water taps are often insufficiently or not at all insulated, and so are those Insulation of the hot water tank can sometimes be improved.
7. Optimally regulate the water temperature
The water temperature must be in a central heating system no more than 60 degrees Celsius - but not less, as this is the minimum temperature for protection against Legionella. With decentralized solutions such as instantaneous water heaters, lower temperatures are sufficient, as the water is no longer kept at this temperature and there is therefore no risk of legionella:
- Around 45 degrees are sufficient at the kitchen sink,
- about 38 degrees for showering.
Modern fully electronic instantaneous water heaters can be regulate exactly to the degreeso that hot water is immediately available at the desired temperature and no water is wasted.
8. Switch off the small storage tank and save water
If you heat your water with small electrical storage tanks, you can save a lot of energy by switching them off more often. After all, the storage tank permanently heats the water to the set temperature. Since no insulation works perfectly, this creates great loss of energye.
So if you go for the weekend go on vacation, just turn the memory offs. And the memory does not have to be switched on at night either. In fact, it would be best if you only turn it on when you need hot water. Then you will have to wait a few minutes for the water to heat up, but you will save a lot of energy.
9. Switch off the hot water circulation
A circulation pump is often used for centralized hot water preparation. These permanently consumes electricity and in addition there are significant Heat losses in the pipe network. In a single-family house, this pump and thus the circulation can usually be shut down by a specialist and the pipeline network converted. Care must be taken that there are no dead stub lines.
When the circulation is switched off, water is lost because the cold water in the pipe must first flow out before the hot water from the storage tank arrives at the tap. But these losses are more than compensated for by the elimination of circulation losses. An average 4-person household in a single-family house can do this save around 85 euros per year.
A Alternative without loss of comfort: adjust the circuit of the circulation pump to the individual daily routine with the timer.
10. Let the sun, geothermal energy & Co. heat
The most environmentally friendly addition to domestic hot water is the Solar support for the heating – Solar thermal called. Because solar systems are not only available for electricity. The heat for your water comes directly from the roof and free of charge - and helps to save heating and electricity costs.
Those who generate their hot water centrally can usually use regenerative heat sources such as a Solar system or one Heat pump use. This is also possible with some modern decentralized devices. An average four-person household in a single-family house with heating oil or natural gas central heating can generate up to sixty percent of the hot water regeneratively with a solar thermal system.
Use the hot water calculator and find out how much you can save
Do you want to reduce your water and energy consumption in a targeted manner and exploit the savings potential in your home? Then use the water check! With just a few clicks, the consumption calculator shows you how much hot water you are using compared to similar households. And suitable savings tips for your household you will also receive. Find out how much you can save now!
You don't just want to save hot water? With these tips you can reduce your total water consumption: Save water - measures for at home and on the go.
Author: Jens Hakenes
- What do the Japanese think of Okinawans?
- What is 3D printing
- What are the best books on personality development
- Why are some people atheists
- Did the Malaysians stay behind in Singapore?
- What does a healthy diet entail
- How does a television actually work
- What is a good GRE score
- Who are your favorite singers
- I can see your beautiful face
- How was Capablanca so good at chess
- Am I suitable for B2B sales
- What are social marketing techniques
- How is light used in technology
- How does hunger make us fat?
- Shall we help the poor?
- What is between birth and death
- Why is obesity viewed as a social problem
- Why do I like to wear diapers
- What causes iron deficiency
- Is Apple's marketing strategy wrong
- Should we reform the education system
- Why use kangen or alkaline water
- What are the jobs for undocumented