Is drinking demineralized water harmful to your health?
Drinking distilled water: is it dangerous?
The myth about the danger of distilled water exists in every household. Many people do not know exactly what the difference to tap water is. With a little education, you will quickly see if there really is a risk.
What is distilled water?
Distilled water contains neither minerals nor trace elements. It is pure H.2O and is made by heating water. The rising water vapor is captured and collected. If the steam condenses, distilled water is obtained.
Is Distilled Water Consumption Harmful?
Many believe that distilled water has a purifying and revitalizing effect. However, this is not correct. The body needs the minerals and trace elements contained in water.
Is that why the consumption of distilled water is harmful to health? That was also believed for a long time. There was even the theoretical statement that consumption can lead to immediate death. Allegedly, cells in the human body can burst due to so-called osmosis when they come into contact with distilled water because they try to compensate for a lack of minerals and therefore take in excessive amounts of water.
That’s the theory. In practice, however, your own body cells rarely come into direct contact with food. During the digestive process, distilled water is mixed with other fluids to make up for the deficiency. Only then does contact with the cells occur, so that hardly any problems are to be feared. So if you accidentally drink distilled water, you don't need to call the ambulance right away.
Harmful does not mean life-threatening
Drinking mineral-free water is not life-threatening, but it can still be harmful to your health. The body depends on minerals. Therefore, you should avoid consuming distilled water for a long time. Otherwise it can happen that deficiency symptoms occur. So be skeptical of theories that claim distilled water is healthy.
Make your own distilled water
You can also easily make distilled water yourself at home. For this you need:
- a large saucepan with a lid
- a bowl that fits in the pot
- Ice cubes
How to make distilled water:
- Fill the pot with tap water and place the bowl in it. The bowl should float in the water, so it shouldn't touch the bottom.
- Turn the stove over to medium heat until the water starts to evaporate. Then place the lid upside down on the pot. The rising water vapor condenses on the lid and drips into the bowl. If you want it to be quick, you can put ice cubes on the lid, these cool the lid and the greater temperature difference speeds up the process.
- Simply fill the distilled water from the bowl into a previously boiled bottle.
What is distilled water used for?
Distilled water is available in supermarkets and drug stores. In private households, it is needed, among other things, for air humidifiers, for windscreen washers in cars, for the water tank of the iron and for cleaning.
In addition, the industry requires distilled water to manufacture many products.
Important NOTE: The information is in no way a substitute for professional advice or treatment by trained and recognized doctors. The contents of t-online cannot and must not be used to independently make diagnoses or start treatments.
- Why the thing destroyed the antimatter
- What does pink symbolize in different cultures
- Why are customers particularly rude when on vacation
- Why are diet drinks worse than normal
- How were riboswitches discovered
- Where can I learn critical thinking skills
- What is Mexican-American Culture
- Is $ 10,000 a lot of money
- How rich are the Chinese
- What is the basis of spacetime and it is infinite
- What is EHV transmission
- Why does Europe have low salaries?
- How to say good night in mandarin
- Why don't you like poetry
- What are some free gift card codes
- Why do Israelis eat Arab foods
- Are superhuman powers real 1
- Who will buy raw oil
- Tour packages are cheaper
- Is sex with your spouse still good
- All conspiracy theories are wrong
- How many people did Hitler kill?
- Who is the richest person in Somalia
- What is a B2B marketplace
- What does awl mean when writing SMS
- Might defeat Sentry Thanos
- What religion was before Islam
- You almost got caught drinking by minors
- Which is the best sales CRM software
- Why vote for Labor in the UK
- What psychological facts shock you
- Who invented the first smartphone 4