Can European doctors practice in the USA

Emigrate as a doctor

who but now believes that most doctors turn their backs on Germany to practice in the Caribbean or another vacation home, they are mistaken. According to the 2018 medical statistics, 1,941 doctors emigrated last year - the German-speaking and neighboring countries were the most popular: 641 doctors emigrated to Switzerland and 268 to Austria. The USA came in third place with 84 emigrated doctors and 69 doctors moved to Greece.

This highlights an essential factor that is important when emigrating: the language. In the medical context in particular, there are many specialist terms that one has to acquire when emigrating. That is why many doctors choose a country where the mother tongue or at least English is spoken.

Continuing education abroad

The time of the stay abroad also plays a role. The PJ during your studies is a good opportunity to get to know another health system without much effort. If you are planning to undertake further training abroad, you should first deal intensively with the crediting of achievements. For example, a common EU directive on the recognition of professional qualifications (2005/36 / EC) regulates that further training stages within the European Union (EU), the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland are recognized as equivalent. Theoretically, you can complete individual sections of the training or the entire training in many European countries. Nevertheless, it is advisable to contact the foreign service of the German Medical Association before leaving in order to receive all the necessary information about the desired destination.

If you play with the idea of ​​going outside of Europe, it becomes a bit more complex. In the USA, for example, there is a difficult exam (USMLE) that you have to pass before you can work as a doctor. In addition, medical certificates from non-European countries are not readily recognized in Germany. Individual further training sections can be taken on, but at least one year of further training must take place in Germany and the examination must also be completed here. If all further training has been completed in a non-European country, the foreign specialist training will be examined by the medical association. Under certain circumstances, individual sections will then not be recognized and must be made up for. In addition, a specialist examination is pending before the examination board of the responsible state medical association.

The decision when to go abroad should therefore be carefully considered. For example, if you want to do research abroad and not get a specialist title at all, then you can ask yourself whether long-term medical work without a specialist title is also conceivable. Otherwise, the questions that are now being dealt with will catch up with you later. If you want to get the title of medical specialist abroad, you have to remember that as a medical specialist you can only practice there, so you can no longer easily gain a foothold in Germany.