Tesco is a multinational company
The largest supermarket chains in the UK
Supermarkets are a one-stop shop for most of the important products we use every day. Supermarket chains thrive in most of the world's developed countries and are also gaining popularity in the developing world. A country's supermarkets are often ranked on the basis of their share in the supermarket sector. The largest supermarkets in the UK are as follows:
Founded by Jack Cohen in 1919, Tesco is the UK's largest supermarket chain by market share. It accounts for 27.8% of the market share of the supermarket chains operating in the country. Tesco is a UK multinational selling food and general merchandise. The company's headquarters are in Hertfordshire. Tesco has branches in 12 countries in Europe and Asia. The company is listed on the London Stock Exchange.
The second largest supermarket chain in Great Britain is Sainsbury's. The company has a 15.8% stake in the country's supermarket sector. Sainsbury's is an old company founded in 1869 as a shop in London by John James Sainsbury. It soon became very popular in the country and by 1922 it became the country's largest grocery retailer. In 1995, however, Tesco overtook Sainsbury's as the market leader. The company was pushed to third place in 2003 by losing second position to Asda. However, in 2014, Sainsbury's won its second place by replacing Asda. The group is headquartered in London.
3. Asda Stores Ltd.
Asda was founded in 1965 and is a relatively young company compared to Tesco and Sainsbury's. However, it quickly succeeded in becoming the third largest supermarket chain in the UK by market share. As of 2017, Asda has tough competition
Sainsbury's with a market share of 15.3% which is only 0.5% lower than Sainsbury's market share. Asda is headquartered in Leeds, West Yorkshire.
Morrisons, the fourth largest supermarket chain in the UK, has a 10.4% stake in the country's supermarket sector. This company is headquartered in Bradford, West Yorkshire. It was founded by William Morrison in 1899 as a simple sale of eggs and butter. Although the chain's operations were mainly concentrated in the northern parts of England until 2004, the subsequent takeover of Safeway by Morrison led to the large-scale presence of Morrisons in the southern part of the nation. As of 2016, the chain had 498 stores spread across the UK.
Aldi, founded in Germany by Theo and Karl Albrecht in 1946, is the fifth largest supermarket chain in Great Britain. It has a 7% market share in the country. Aldi is also present in many other countries. More than 10,000 stores of this company can be found in 20 countries. Aldi actually consists of two discount supermarket chains, Aldi Nord and Aldi Süd, which use the common Aldi brand.
The largest supermarket chains in the UK
|rank||Supermarket chain||Market share|
Author: Amos Chambers
Amos Chambers is a 33 year old journalist. Webaholic. Lifelong coffee guru. Food buff. Music lovers. Introvert. Writer. Analyst.
- What is Syria about
- What is Vitamin D Toxicity
- Have you ever seen anything unbelievable?
- What do the Iranians think of Mahmoud Ahmadinejad
- Why do people judge their fellow human beings
- Do not pay contractors for overtime
- How to increase sales in the business
- Is that a real Patek Philippe
- Can I recruit using Facebook ads
- How much do 10 weeds weigh
- Channel marketing differs from B2B marketing
- The mind deteriorates with age
- How long does the urine take
- Should students do part-time jobs
- Required for Wordpress web hosting
- Jesus smoked
- Smart people are better at video games
- What is depression
- How can the dimensional space be infinite
- Reservations are required for a tour of Harvard
- How much data does life360
- What are the problems Nigeria is facing
- What makes a bad mountaineer
- You should treat a bad person nicely
- Is credit card debt really that bad?
- How has influencer marketing evolved over time?
- How many calories does a croissant contain?
- Why would my cat keep poking me on the head?
- How do I keep my relationship healthy
- What is Saudi Arabia
- Why is time not a dimension of space
- What is the importance of lead generation
- What is the name of a New Zealand accent