School teachers would carry weapons if allowed
About a year ago, 17 people died in a school massacre in Parkland, Florida. As a consequence, teachers should be allowed to carry weapons there in the future. That decided the House of Representatives in Florida, dominated by the Republicans, after a heated debate on Wednesday with 65 to 47 votes. The bill now goes to Governor Ron DeSantis, who had previously indicated his support.
A law passed shortly after the Parkland massacre north of Miami had exempted teachers from carrying weapons while on duty. In the USA it happens again and again that people are killed by gunfire in schools and universities. Efforts for stricter gun laws have been in vain for years because Republicans are against it.
US President Donald Trump is in favor of teachers carrying firearms in the classroom. 30 US states have since allowed this, he said recently at an event by the gun lobby organization NRA in Indianapolis.
Several school districts do not want to join the program
In Florida, teachers and other staff must first be registered by the relevant school district for an appropriate program - the Guardian Program - in order to undergo training at the local sheriff's office. In addition, the educators have to undergo a psychiatric examination and take a drug test.
Proponents of the new law refer to armed teachers as "the last line of defense". You should intervene when the police are not around. Critics, however, said more guns didn't mean more safety. Some referred to an incident Tuesday in which the gun of a police officer in charge of a school went off in a cafeteria in western Florida. Nobody got hurt.
Teachers' unions have strongly opposed the law. Several school districts have already made it clear that they will not join the program. The Broward County sheriff responsible for parkland also warned of the consequences of the law. "Teachers take up this profession to teach children, not to serve as school security," wrote Gregory Tony in a letter to the local school board. In addition, the guard program puts students, teachers and first aiders at risk.
- How many times has ancient China been conquered?
- How did political correctness affect you personally?
- What are your intellectual obligations
- What are some popular snacks from Singapore
- Why is Hideo Kojima leaving Kojima Productions
- Torture of prisoners is a crime
- Can I mention Quora on my résumé?
- Jakarta is in which country
- Which is bigger lion or tiger
- How do you solve procrastination
- What is the terraforming of Mars
- What does this tattoo mean 6
- Atoms can absorb two photons at the same time
- What is your favorite sorting algorithm
- What are the most harmful foods why
- How do I get banned on Fortnite
- WooCommerce is easy to set up
- Blogger has its own domain
- Is protein good for building muscle?
- What is a dollar salary
- Why is drinking water bad for you
- What employment opportunities are there for developmental psychologists?
- Which is the longest bus in BMTC
- What are some poems about poems
- Are we always happy with wealth
- Why is spacetime doomed to fail
- Streaming video will change television forever
- How many hours do you work per day
- What percentage of the German soldiers were Nazis?
- Is St. Louis safe
- How is jogging done right
- How can I clear my past karma