What can unhealthy eating lead to?
If the hippocampus is damaged, however, the memories of the tastiest (but mostly unhealthy) foods are so vivid that you can occasionally think of nothing more than how to best and quickly get to these foods.
Eating unhealthy foods increases the chances of developing dementia
Damage or shrinkage of the hippocampus is also a risk factor for dementia and Alzheimer's disease, because with a disturbed hippocampus less and less information can get from short-term to long-term memory.
At first you don't feel these changes in the brain very clearly. In older age, however, they can no longer be hidden and there are clear changes in behavior that indicate the corresponding brain damage.
Eating unhealthy foods causes brains to shrink
In September 2015, further research results on this topic were published and published in an international specialist journal BMC Medicine released. Researcher of the Deakin University and the Australian National University (ANU) were also able to show how diet affected certain areas of the brain (including the hippocampus).
With the help of magnetic resonance tomography, the size of the hippocampus was measured in the study participants (between 60 and 64 years of age). Those people who ate unhealthily, liked to consume sweetened beverages and salty snacks as well as processed meat products had a smaller hippocampus in this study than the participants who preferred foods rich in vital substances, such as vegetables, fruits and fish. Other factors that can affect the size and function of the hippocampus (e.g. smoking, depression, too little exercise, etc.) were taken into account.
Healthy eating is critical to a healthy brain
Professor Felice Jacka, head of the study, explains that unhealthy food no longer just settles on the hips, but clearly also damages the brain. "It is becoming more and more apparent that diet is very important - for both physical and mental health. Other research recently found that diet was a major risk factor for depression, anxiety, and dementia - but we didn't know exactly how exactly the diet affects the brain, which has now been clarified. "
A healthy diet is therefore a simple method with which one can improve mental health, increase brain performance by hand and prevent dementia - of course only if there is still a certain amount of self-control.
Distance training to become a holistic nutritionist
Are you interested in what's in our food and want to know how nutrients and vital substances affect the body? Do you want a healthy life for yourself, your family and fellow human beings? Nutritionists are popular - but the holistic aspect that is needed for sustainable health is often forgotten when giving advice. At the Academy of Naturopathy, you will get to know the connections between lifestyle and diet as well as physical and psychological well-being.
That educates interested people like you in around 16 months to become a holistic nutritionist out.
Is this article worth reading?
Share this article
- Felice N. Jacka, Nicolas Cherbuin, Kaarin J. Anstey, Perminder Sachdev and Peter Butterworth, Western diet is associated with a smaller hippocampus: a longitudinal investigation, BMC Medicine, September 2015, (Western Diet Linked to a Smaller Hippocampus: A Longitudinal Exam)
- Does junk food shrink your brain ?, Sep 11, 2015, Medical News Today, (Does junk food shrink your brain?)
- Convit A et al., "Obesity-mediated inflammation may damage the brain circuit that regulates food intake, Brain Research, February 2011,
- Schultz N, "Nutrition: Junk food makes the brain shrink", Spiegel, January 18, 2011
Notice on health issues
This information is passed to the best of my knowledge and belief. They are intended exclusively for those interested and for further training and are in no way to be understood as diagnostic or therapeutic instructions. We do not assume any liability for damages of any kind that arise directly or indirectly from the use of the information. If you suspect illness, please consult your doctor or alternative practitioner
Subscribe to Newsletter
Exciting information about health and nutrition
1x per month
Login Successful. You will shortly receive a confirmation at the specified email address.
With your registration you allow the regular sending of the newsletter and accept the data protection regulations.
HEALTH CENTER © 2021 Neosmart Consulting AG. All rights reserved.
- How good are Brazilian special forces
- Protein powder necessarily increases strength
- What can a small business do
- How can I get a sailing boat license
- Fat pride is useless
- What does Saikou mean in Japanese
- What is your opinion on the JFK assassination
- How did you choose your programming path
- Which is the longest bus in BMTC
- Which currency does Malaysia use
- Why do geologists like rocks
- What types of fats do nuts have
- Should I join AFROTC
- Which colors start with the letter E.
- Malaysia is an Islamic country
- Why does death come in threes?
- Do stingrays predators what are they
- What is Safe Shop India
- What is the origin of the bay window
- Why do magnets only attract iron objects
- Most rich people were raised rich
- Are detailed data or information always good
- What makes some girls successful with men?
- Testosterone deficiency can cause prostate cancer
- Why can't we cancel cinema tickets
- What is screaming today is my last day
- How does import affect a country's economy?
- Would you rather have luck or talent
- Tension equals force
- How many churches are there in Delhi
- What are mini steel mills
- How is a house built
- Calorific value formula