How to create bookmarks in PDF
How to bookmark pages in a PDF document in Adobe Reader
The free Adobe Acrobat Reader DC has a great typography engine, support for 3D content, and a bridge to Adobe Document Cloud. You can also get 2 GB of free cloud storage through the Adobe Document Cloud service.
However, it lacks one of the most basic features a PDF reading app should have: the ability to bookmark a page.
Let's find some alternative solutions to bookmark PDF file in Acrobat Reader DC.
How does it help you bookmark pages in PDF?
Imagine reading an important document or a long book like "A Game of Thrones". You just left it on page 312. Aside from the fact that you should never read it in PDF, how are you supposed to return to the same page when you start reading again?
The problem is still unsolved. Adobe has a handy bookmark tool in the left sidebar. You can jump to indexed pages in a book, but you cannot create your own from there. So let's solve the bookmark problem.
The easy way to bookmark a page in Adobe Reader
You cannot create and place new bookmarks with Adobe Reader. However, you can apply a small setting that will make the software remember the last page the PDF reader opened. It's not "technically" a bookmark, but it's a simple check mark that you should always check.
Follow the steps below to enable native functionality.
- Go to Edit> Preferences (Windows) or Acrobat / Adobe Acrobat Reader> Preferences (Mac OS). You can also use the keyboard shortcut Use Ctrl + K .
- Click below the listed categories on the left Documents .
- Activate the function as shown in the following screenshot - Restoring the last view settings when opening documents again . click on OK and finish that program .
Now open any number of PDF documents. Adobe Reader remembers the page you left it on. This may not be a bookmarking solution, it may not give you the ability to mark multiple points in a book, but it is a simple, elegant answer to our basic need when we open an e-book in a PDF reader.
Bookmark a PDF using the markup tools
The markup tools provide two workarounds for creating a bookmark.
- Use the highlighter.
- Use the comment balloon.
1. Highlight text to mimic a bookmark
You may not be someone who can highlight and annotate PDF documents. Use this feature to bookmark the last place you read when you use the highlighting feature in Acrobat Reader sparingly.
- The highlighting tool is represented by a pencil icon in the Adobe Reader toolbar. Select it to activate the highlighter.
- Mark the part of the text you want to "bookmark" and come back later. Save the PDF when you close the Reader.
- Scrolling through the pages to get to the highlighted highlight can be a chore. Use the Thumbnail in the left sidebar.
Remember, you can always clear the mark as you move through the document. Right-click the highlighted text (or image) and choose the displayed Context menu option Clear .
2. Bookmark with a sticky note and a comment
The sticky note tool in the toolbar is also an alternative to bookmarks. This is the most common way to add a comment to a PDF file. You can see it right next to the marker pen.
The Sticky Note also gives you the benefit of a timestamp and text area where you can add your own comments - in the best tradition of adding book notes in the margins.
Now you can easily jump to the comment you added to the note. Open the PDF document in Acrobat Reader.
- Go to View> Extras> Comment> Open .
- The List of comments will be displayed in the right pane of the document window. It shows all the comments in a PDF file and also shows a toolbar with general options such as: B. Sorting, filtering and other options for working with comments. Click on the comment and jump to the specific point in the document.
Did you notice the many annotations and markup tools in the comment toolbar? These options are incredibly powerful ways to make your reading more immersive and comprehensive. The full breakdown of each tool is outside the scope of this article. However, this Adobe help page will walk you through all of the tools.
You can use the text and drawing tools on the toolbar to highlight key segments or sentences. The best way to remember everything you read is to associate the information with details that are outside of the PDF document.
However, we haven't yet found an exact way to bookmark a PDF document in Acrobat Reader. It's time to check out a hack provided by a third party.
- Start a PDF file with Adobe Acrobat Reader and open the menu view . Four new items are clearly visible in the menu:
- Bookmark this page
- Go to bookmarks
- Remove a bookmark
- Delete bookmarks
- The payment (5,6) next to the top two options relate to the keyboard shortcuts.
- The functions are self-explanatory. On the page that you want to bookmark, click Bookmark this page . The following box will open and you can give the bookmark a name.
- If you on Go to the bookmark clicking it will open a floating box and clicking on each bookmark will take you to each of the bookmarks you set. You can bookmark as many pages as you want.
- The other two options in the menu are also clear. With the command Remove bookmark you can remove a single bookmark, and Delete bookmarks deletes all bookmarks at once.
More powerful tools to edit your PDF file
We still need our PDF files and a powerful reader. Adobe Acrobat Reader is just that - a simple reader of PDF files. It's supposed to be a stepping stone to the full-fledged Adobe Acrobat Pro DC that can be used to create bookmarks.
Because PDF files are so universal, you shouldn't rely solely on Adobe Acrobat. There are many alternative PDF tools with powerful editing features.
- One bullet kills a person instantly
- Should I choose love or career
- What does the Bible say about Moloch?
- What causes smokers to cough
- What are some hot startups
- Why is the demand for data analytics growing
- How did you find your true passion
- How do homeless shelters work
- How can I learn vocabulary
- What's the worst job in tech
- How is pancreatic cancer
- How do small businesses use social media
- Have you ever had a vacation romance
- What is the tariff for solar energy
- Can I buy a pistol in Italy?
- What is an ADX indicator
- Which country pays Japan or Australia better
- Can women wear rudraksha
- Boston has a good airport
- Atypical anorexia is serious
- What Causes Childhood Obesity
- Empaths need narcissistic care
- What are some philosophical questions for logic
- What is a blast furnace in Minecraft